The Importance of Custom Package Design in Your Product Shipments
Increase Profits with Custom Package Design When Shipping Products
A lot of e-commerce retailers might believe the products they’re selling are the most crucial aspect of their business. It may be why they don’t give much thought to creating a custom product shipping package. At Taylored Fulfillment Services, we’re experts in package design and implementation. We can tell you that the investment in packaging goes far beyond transporting the product to the consumer. It’s the last touchpoint with the customer in the online transaction. Packaging designed for online sales should not be considered just a packaging expense but a marketing expense as well, for a few important reasons.
Cool Packaging is “Like”-able and “Share”-able
How your brand is perceived is closely connected to your packaging. Think about how Apple’s packaging contributes to their image of being hip, sleek, and customer-friendly. Or, consider how Tiffany’s trademark blue box emits an air of elegance and luxury before you even see what’s inside.
About 74% of consumers from 18 to 25 years old said that they would share a recent purchase on social media if the product packaging was unique and engaging. That means customers can be transformed into brand ambassadors—simply based on how the product is packaged. All of that free advertising can boost sales and profits.
On the flip side, poor product shipping packaging can damage brand value. Suppose your customer purchased your product and when it arrived, it was just in a plan cardboard box. They may be satisfied with the product, but without the unique packaging, they’re less likely to share it.
Proper Packaging Reduces Costs
High-quality packaging prevents goods from being damaged in transit, which results in more satisfied customers who are more likely to order from you again. On the other hand, if the product arrives damaged, the customer will return the product and ask for a refund or replacement. That means more shipping costs, or just an outright loss. Plus, there’s a good chance the consumer won’t order from your site again based on even a single poor experience.
Custom Product Packaging Sets You Apart
If your product is being sold on a major online retailer like Walmart or Amazon, it’s easy for it to be overlooked among hundreds or even thousands of competitors. In a brick and mortar store, customers have the advantage of seeing and touching a physical product. Plus, it’s on the shelf with maybe five or so competing brands.
Online, you only have words and pictures to entice customers, and you’re being listed among dozens, if not hundreds of competitors. Your custom product shipping packaging needs to be eye-catching enough to stand out from the crowd and entice a consumer to click.
Five Quick Tips for Effective Packaging
If you’re thinking that your product packaging needs an update, keep this tips in mind:
- Keep it Simple: Nobody wants to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to open a package. Make the process of removing a product from the package as easy and clean as possible.
- Be Honest: The packaging should accurately represent what’s inside. You don’t want your customer to feel disappointed when they get the box open.
- Add Some Wow: There should be at least one element that makes the consumer say “wow!” during the opening experience. An unexpected gift, a coupon for a future order, a handwritten ‘thank you’ note are all inexpensive ways to leave a lasting positive impression on a customer.
- Brand the Box: The packaging should be an extension of your brand with all logos, social media addresses, and taglines printed on it.
- Go Green: Using environmentally-friendly packaging is the standard these days. In fact, it may leave some customers with an unfavorable impression of your brand if they think your packaging is wasteful or harmful in any way. Packaging should have minimal environmental impact, be recyclable, and if possible, have the potential to be reused.
No matter what type of product you’re selling, the packaging it comes in is just as important as the product itself. Maximize the powerful marketing and branding opportunities that exist in custom product shipping packaging and you’ll be rewarded with more satisfied customers and increased sales.
Taylored Fulfillment Services is a fully integrated third-party logistics provider specializing in wholesale, retail, and direct-to-consumer unit fulfillment. Let us help you design a packaging solution that ensures your product looks great and is completely protected, from dock to stock. Established in 1992 and headquartered in Iselin, New Jersey, we operate 1.5 million square feet of warehouse and distribution space strategically located near the nation’s busiest ports, including Los Angeles, Long Beach, and New York.